Tag: Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency Board

CI$5.1M PR fees owed by hundreds of people
(CNS): The government is owed more than CI$5.14 million in outstanding permanent residency fees by 640 people that was due over the last twelve months. Although government has no plans to write off any of this debt, Premier Alden McLaughlin has said that around $3 million will not be easy to collect because it is […]

Family rights trump ex-con’s deportation
(CNS): A case decided in the Grand Court last month could have lasting implications for the immigration department’s ability to deport people convicted of crimes. Justice Richard Williams found that a Jamaican national, who was the getaway driver in a 2013 supermarket robbery, should not be deported because of his right to a family life. […]

Premier dismisses status delay concerns
(CNS): A growing number of long-term residents here are worried they could miss the chance to vote next year because of delays in the Caymanian status application process due to the pandemic. However, the concerns have been dismissed by the premier. The Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency Board has not met since the COVID-19 lockdown […]

Over 700 PRs granted over last year as backlog clears
(CNS): Almost one year after the Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency (CSPR) Board and administrators at the Department if Immigration began work on the backlog of residency applications, 1,656 applications have been tackled and 43%, or 708 applicants, have been granted permanent residency, while 528 or 32% have been declined. Another 355, or 20%, have been […]

East End timeshare developer awarded status
(CNS): David Morritt (71), the man behind the Morritt’s Resort in East End, was handed Caymanian status on Friday when the Legislative Assembly approved Cabinet’s recommendation. Government brought the motion because although he had spent almost 30 years in Cayman, the British developer was here as a visitor. Premier Alden McLaughlin said Cabinet believed he […]
PR backlog falls after 1,300+ applications reviewed
(CNS): There are just 263 applications for permanent residency waiting to be considered, officials said Monday, with 1,340 applications having been reviewed since the process was restarted after being stalled for several years over legal issues. Figures released by the immigration department covering the applications up to 5 February show that 591 applications, or 44% […]

Nearly 500 residents approved in 2017
(CNS): The latest official government figures relating to efforts to address the backlog of permanent residency applications reveal that 496 people received PR in Cayman last year, while 242 people were turned down. The process was derailed for several years as a result of successful legal challenges to the points system used to judge the […]

Over 800 PR applications reviewed since May
(CNS): The Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency Board and administrative staff at the Department of Immigration have now considered 814 applications since work resumed in May after legal issues stalled the process and led to a backlog of over a 1,000 people waiting on decisions. So far, 385 applications (47%) have been approved, 183 have […]

48% of PR applications now approved
(CNS): Over three hundred people who had been part of the backlog of permanent residency applications have now been granted that residency. Immigration administrative staff and the Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency Board have considered 623 applications and made decisions on 449 of them. 147 applications have been refused and another 134 have been deferred […]

500+ permanent residency applications now reviewed
(CNS): More than 500 individuals and families who have been waiting on decisions about their potential future in the Cayman Islands have now been considered by the relevant board and admin staff at immigration. Although there are still 876 applications awaiting a decision, the authorities are now getting to grips with what was in some […]