Tag: manslaughter

‘Toxic’ relationship led woman to kill

‘Toxic’ relationship led woman to kill

| 07/05/2021 | 29 Comments

(CNS): Olga Elizabeth Smith (37) from North Side, who has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of 27-year-old Marvin Xavier Conolly Armendarez last year in March, expressed her deep remorse through her attorney when she appeared in court Thursday to be sentenced for killing her lover and the father of her child. Smith’s lawyer, Charles Miskin […]

Continue Reading

Bryan admits killing Pars in car park fight

Bryan admits killing Pars in car park fight

| 26/01/2021 | 17 Comments

(CNS): Mason Courtney Bryan (28) from George Town pleaded guilty on Friday to manslaughter, in connection with the fatal stabbing of Recardo Lionel Pars (27) outside the nightclub complex at The Strand plaza in August during a fight. Despite the admission, the attorneys remain in discussions. Crown counsel said the prosecution was willing to accept […]

Continue Reading

Crown: Manslaughter case ‘not complicated’

Crown: Manslaughter case ‘not complicated’

| 03/12/2020

(CNS): Members of the jury were told Thursday that they must decide what happened during a one hour and ten minute window between Dinesh Asanka Fernando Wannukawatta-Waduge arriving on his bike at Bananas nightclub on 30 November last year and him lying dead at the bar door. Crown counsel Darlene Oko said the case of […]

Continue Reading

CAYS managers revealed failings at boys home

CAYS managers revealed failings at boys home

| 17/02/2020 | 20 Comments

(CNS): Staff employed by the CAYS Foundation, which runs the Bonaventure Boys Home in West Bay, revealed a number of shortcomings at the care facility when they gave evidence of behalf of the crown during the recent trial of Larry Levers and Michael Stewart. Both Levers and Stewart were acquitted Thursday of the manslaughter of […]

Continue Reading

Care workers not guilty of killing teenage boy

Care workers not guilty of killing teenage boy

| 13/02/2020 | 10 Comments

(CNS): In an emotional moment in Grand Court on Thursday, Micheal Stewart (65) and Larry Levers (47) were acquitted of the manslaughter of 14-year-old Risco Batten, who drowned while on a fishing trip in 2015 while the men were carers at the Bonaventure Boys Home. It took a jury less than three hours to clear […]

Continue Reading

Second carer’s evidence backs colleague

Second carer’s evidence backs colleague

| 07/02/2020

(CNS): A second former care home worker charged with the manslaughter of Risco Batten (14) echoed evidence given by his colleague when he took the stand Thursday. The teenager drowned more than four years ago during a tragic fishing trip at South Sound. Larry Levers (47), who worked with Micheal Stewart at the Bonaventure Boys […]

Continue Reading

Care worker saw no risk on fateful fishing trip

Care worker saw no risk on fateful fishing trip

| 05/02/2020

(CNS): Micheal Stewart (65), a former care worker charged with manslaughter, told a jury he was devastated by the death of Risco Batten, a teenage boy who drowned on a fishing trip while being supervised by him and Larry Levers, a colleague from the Bonaventure Boys Home. As he gave his evidence, Stewart said he […]

Continue Reading

Boat pilot denies manslaughter charges

Boat pilot denies manslaughter charges

| 27/01/2020

(CNS): Sean Michael McDonald (36) from Prospect denied charges of manslaughter and grievous bodily harm when he appeared in court Friday in connection with a boat crash last summer. McDonald pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of John Turner (70), a UK-national living in Cayman, and Emmanuel Brown (49), a former police officer from George […]

Continue Reading

Crown: Care home workers  culpable for teen’s death

Crown: Care home workers culpable for teen’s death

| 20/01/2020

(CNS): Michael Stewart and Larry Levers were so “extraordinarily negligent” when they took a group of teenage boys from the Bonaventure Boys Home Home fishing in November 2015 that they are culpable for the death of 14-year-old Risco Batten, who drowned that day while in their care, the crown said as it opened the manslaughter […]

Continue Reading

Boat captain charged with manslaughter

Boat captain charged with manslaughter

| 11/12/2019

(CNS) UPDATED: A 36-year-old man from Prospect, who was captaining a boat that smashed into a smaller vessel in the North Sound this summer, killing two men and badly injuring a woman on board, has been charged. Sean McDonald who was behind the wheel of the Pepper Jelly, a white 32-foot Scarab centre console boat […]

Continue Reading

GT man arrested in fatal boat collision

GT man arrested in fatal boat collision

| 08/10/2019

(CNS) A 35-year-old man from George Town has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with a fatal boat crash in the North Sound in August. Police have not identified the suspect, who has been bailed as investigations continue. He was said to be captaining the Pepper Jelly, a 32-foot Scarab centre-console boat with […]

Continue Reading