Sea wasp stings land swimmers in hospital

| 29/05/2019 | 22 Comments

Sea wasp

(CNS): At least two people were treated in hospital on Monday after several swimmers were stung by jellyfish while visiting Stingray City, according to reports from watersports operators. The Department of Environment said the jellyfish are likely to be sea wasps (Carybdea alata), a small species that is almost transparent and can deliver a nasty sting. While they are rare in Cayman, they are found off the coastal waters of Florida, Bahamas and other areas of the Caribbean. “Recent weather conditions may be responsible for bringing them into near-shore waters,” the DoE said.

In a press release about the reports of the jellyfish, the DoE urged people to be cautious in the water around the Sandbar and the barrier reef.

“These small jellies are not easy to see and can deliver a painful sting that leaves welts and redness if they contact bare skin. Home treatments can include pouring white vinegar on sting areas. However, if the victim’s reaction to the sting persists or becomes severe, it is advised to seek proper medical attention immediately,” the department added.

Sea wasps typically tend to inhabit shallow water at night, float near coral reefs, and are attracted by lights.

Tags: ,

Category: Health, health and safety

Comments (22)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Anonymous says:

I don’t know about here, but Jellyfish Arrival Calendar – Jellyfish Forecast for Hawaii Beaches is published and tied to moon cycles. Signs are posted on beaches as well.
    I and my child seem to be attracting jellyfish here and when we visit Hawaii. Had an ER visit once in Honolulu and here were stung once non stop while swimming at the Governor beach. It was very unpleasant and felt like electric shock.

2. Ron Ebanks says:

Stop the Crime ,
    I don’t know what will work for you , but I know it worked for me and many more people .

3. Anonymous says:

Sea Wasp

Species – Chironex Fleckeri

AKA – Box Jellyfish, Fire Medusa, Indringa.

• Anonymous says:

Wrong ocean. Chironex Fleckeri is only found in the northern waters of Australia, New Guinea , Vietnam and the waters around the Philippines. It is not an Atlantic/Caribbean species.

4. Anonymous says:

In my 20+ years of torching for squabs and lobsters and having been hit dozens of times by the nasty little devils, I can say that I have found no remedy for their sting. Calamine, if anything, helps a slight bit. Cortisone doesn’t work. Urine is at least entertaining for all present. Perhaps a person’s particular skin type matters.

Sea wasp sting is far more severe than the common small jellyfish and are more box-shaped (as seen best at night). I’ve never seen or felt them during the day, however thimbles are fairly common during the day.

• StopTheCrime says:

Did you try vinegar? That’s supposed to neutralize the sting.

• Anonymous says:

Vinegar works for a minor sting, but in some severe cases this does not do enough. I’ve found that ice helps the pain but need to head straight to hospital if extreme pain persists

• Anonymous says:

Yes. Have tried rhat several times. It should work since the acidity should neutralise the proteins. It has never made much of a difference for my skin.

• Anonymous says:

Cut a lime in two – and grill it on your electric stove burner – then apply to the sting. Kill it dead on the spot. Pain and itch. no need for a hospital trip. learnt this on the Bay Islands

5. Ron Ebanks says:

That is a very good suggestion with the white vinegar and if you don’t have vinegar urine is always there , the object is to get the sting neutralized as quick as possible .. Works on sea urchins too .

• StopTheCrime says:

This has actually been tested by pros: urine does NOT work.

• Piers says:

it didnt work for me, neither did brown sauce. I actually found the best thing to be sticking the body part back in the sea. No idea why but it helped me.

• Anonymous says:

If it was jellyfish tentacles the sea water possibly helped to wash them off. With jellyfish tentacles that remain on the skin fresh water, vinegar, etc., causes them to sting more so the first step is to wash off the tentacles with seawater (which they do not react to) and then apply vinegar, etc.

6. Anonymous says:

Lifeguards!

7. Anonymous says:

I got stung on my nuts once and they doubled in size. It was painful but the result was brilliant.

8. Anonymous says:

What were the land swimmers doing in the hospital in the first place??

Also, what the heck is a “land swimmer”?

You can comment anonymously. See CNS Comment Policy at the top of this page.

For a couple of hours on Wednesday afternoon this site reverted to a day in March. We believe that this issue has now been permanently fixed. To all our readers who landed on our site during that time, we apologise for the confusion.