Theft case delayed over claims of double counting

| 28/01/2019 | 0 Comments
Cayman News Service

Cayman Islands courts

(CNS): The case against Nadia Miranda Powery, who has admitted stealing more than US$400,000 from her former employer, was stalled Friday after the court heard that prosecutors are still pursuing a particular charge against her that she says is already accounted for in one of the eight charges she pleaded guilty to last week. Defence attorney Richard Barton said that the charge against Powery alleging a specific act of theft of over $94,000 is clearly a duplication of a charge she has already accepted and is not an additional theft. Barton told the court that “it should be obvious this is a double count”, as his client pleaded not guilty.

With the crown still pressing on with this additional charge, a trial date has now been set for June. Powery is already facing a custodial sentence and awaiting a sentencing date, which will now be delayed as a result of the dispute over this charge.

“We are confident that there is a clear duplication,” Barton told the court as he asked the prosecution to disclose exactly how they have concluded this is not a repetition.

Powery was bailed to return for what is expected to be a one-day trial on 17 June unless the crown has a change of heart over the disputed charge. In that case, the case will move to sentencing.

Tags:

Category: Courts, Crime, Local News

You can comment anonymously. Please read the CNS Comment Policy at the top of this page.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.