Indecent assault case against ex-teacher’s aide stalled

| 03/08/2016 | 0 Comments
Cayman News Service

Cayman Islands Courts, George Town

(CNS): A 20-year-old local man who is facing allegations that he indecently assaulted ten primary school children appeared in court Tuesday but there has been little movement in the case, which has been dragging through Summary Court for a year. The former teacher’s aide from Bodden Town, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is suffering mental health problems, but earlier this year a psychiatric report found he was fit to answer the charges and he pleaded not guilty to all ten counts. However, a trial date has not been set in the case, which will be heard in Summary Court.

The case was adjourned to 17 August by Magistrate Angelyn Hernandez, who directed that this was the last time an adjournment would happen without setting a trial date, which she indicated would now have to be in the early part of next year, given the packed court docket.

The court heard that the case has been stalled because the defendant is have problems communicating with his attorney, and despite the medical findings that he was fit to plead, another psychiatric report has found the man is having difficulties participating in his own defence. His attorney has said that there are difficulties that could present significant challenges for the trial but with therapy things could improve.

The former government primary school employee was charged in June after the school where he had been working made complaints to social services, who then referred the matter to the RCIPS. The man is said to have assaulted ten little girls, aged between 6 and 10, while he worked at the government school.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags:

Category: Courts, Crime

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.