Murder trial delayed as judge dismisses jury pool

| 02/02/2016 | 1 Comment
Justin Ramoon

Justin Ramoon

(CNS): Two brothers from George Town charged with the murder of Jason Powery last year in what police said was a gang-related shooting were scheduled to face trial Monday in Grand Court but a legal challenge led to the dismissal of the entire jury pool. Justice Charles Quin released around 100 potential jurors following submissions from lawyers representing Osbourne Douglas and Justin Ramoon, who have both denied killing Powery.

The cause of the dismissal cannot be disclosed for legal reasons but the courts are now in the process of finding a new pool from which twelve men and women can be selected to hear the case.

Cayman News Service

Osborne Douglas

The brothers are accused of shooting the 20-year-old man from West Bay in July 2015 outside the Globe Bar in George Town. They have both pleaded not guilty to murder and possession of an unlicensed firearm.

Justice Quin, who is presiding over the trial, adjourned the case until Wednesday but there were fears that the courts would not be able to convene a new jury pool by then, which may see the case pushed back into next week on an already tight court docket.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags: , ,

Category: Courts, Crime

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Bad docket management.

Leave a Reply to Anonymous Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.