(CNS): As the corruption scandals plaguing the football world continue, the regional governing body CONCACAF has dropped its legal action against a group of hospitality companies that it had accused of defrauding the organisation and colluding with corrupt officials, including Cayman’s Jeffrey Webb. CONCACAF and Cartan Tours filed a motion Monday to dismiss the $50 million case that had been filed in California.
The Wall Street Journal reported that lawyers involved said the settlement between the parties “resolved everything” but no money changed hands. “The settlement will save CONCACAF millions of dollars and allow the Confederation to continue to move forward from the misconduct of past management to focus on football and governance reforms,” CONCACAF said.
The suit had stirred up further controversy here in the Cayman Islands because, in addition to Webb, Canover Watson and Bruce Blake, the acting president of the Cayman Islands Football Association, were implicated in the suit.
Blake had signed a loan agreement on behalf of CIFA with Cartan Tours, one of the defendants in the suit, after it had secured lucrative hospitality and entertainment contracts with CONCACAF. Although the “loan” later mysteriously turned into a “gift”, Blake has categorically denied any wrongdoing and said he had left the details of the financial arrangements to Watson, as he was CIFA treasurer at the time of the loan.
The suit made allegations that implied that both Watson and Webb were being given kickbacks from the hospitality business from CONCACAF, which was given to Cartan and other related companies.