Probe continues into school food poisoning

| 07/09/2015 | 2 Comments

Cayman News Service(CNS): Most of the people taken ill after lunch last Thursday at Red Bay Primary School have recovered but the enquiry into what caused more than 100 children and teachers to get sick continues. Officials said Friday that cleaning was carried out at the school and in the canteen areas and parents were advised to seek medical attention if the students affected continued to get sick.

The Department of Environmental Health had recommended that the Mary Miller Hall, which includes the kitchen facilities, remains closed until results of all the tests have been finalized. But the school, its PTA and the Department of Education Services will continue to ensure that breakfast, snacks and lunch are provided for Red Bay Primary School, the ministry said in a release.

“Lighthouse School and George Town Primary School, both of whom previously had their meals prepared in the kitchen at Mary Miller Hall, will continue to have their meals prepared off-site and brought on to their campuses,” officials said, adding that updates would be provided to the public this week once they are available.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags: ,

Category: Health, health and safety

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Government should employ their own chefs and cooks to do the school lunches and at least they would be able to vet the staff and know whose cooking for the kids it would also probably save the parents money by cutting out the middle man.

  2. Anonymous says:

    Poor children.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.