Driver charged with GBH after mowing down tourists

| 06/05/2015 | 1 Comment

(CNS) Police have now charged an unnamed 49-year-old George Town man with a number of driving-related offenses after he hit two visitors who were walking on the pavement on the West Bay Road earlier this year. An RCIPS spokesperson said the man was charged yesterday with dangerous driving, leaving the scene of an accident and inflicting grievous bodily harm. He was bailed to appear in court on 26 May.

Cayman News Service

RCIPS police officer

The driver hit the couple when he reportedly lost control of his Ford Mustang Shelby near Villas of the Galleon, and mounted the pavement. The hit and run happened just after 5:00pm on Sunday 25 January. The couple both suffered head injuries and the man was airlifted to the United States, where he had reconstructive surgery to his face, while his wife was admitted to the Cayman Islands Hospital.

The man was arrested the next day after he left the scene in the wake of the collision.

The incident was one of a number of major road collisions this year involving pedestrians. A teenage visitor was knocked down by a minivan near to the Marriott Hotel last month, and more recently a local man riding his bike on the Linford Pierson Highway and a local woman jogging in South Sound were both killed when they were struck by two different drivers in separate incidents.

Tags: ,

Category: Local News

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Attney Simon Courtney ha been named as the culprit by he Compass.

You can comment anonymously. See CNS Comment Policy at the top of this page.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Please support independent journalism in the Cayman Islands