Pole fire cuts power to almost 1800 CUC customers

| 07/04/2015 | 1 Comment
Cayman News Service

CUC pole on fire

(CNS): Homes and businesses in some parts of George Town were without power for around two hours on Monday morning when a CUC pole caught fire along North Sound Road.  Spokesperson for the power company said 1,795 customers in Central George Town as well as Dorcey Drive, Bobby Thompson Way, Hospital Road, South Church Street and Cricket Square were affected between 9: 17am to 11:11am, when power was restored to all customers.

CUC said the fire that caused the outage was the result of an accumulation of sea salt on the pole and subsequent rainfall.

“Maintenance crews worked as quickly as possible to restore power to all customers in a safe manner,’ the spokesperson stated in a short release, adding that the pole is being replaced. “CUC sincerely apologizes for the inconvenience caused to customers affected by this outage.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags: ,

Category: Local News

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Now if those affected had a means to alternative energy on their buildings, this 1960’s technology electrical distribution issue wouldn’t have affected 1800 (1 thousand, 800) customers.

    SMH at this Island in the Sun.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.