Cayman remains cholera free as Cuban cases mount
(CNS): Three people have died and there have been more than 236 confirmed cholera cases, while approximately 1,000 patients have received medical attention in Cuba, according to the Pan American Health Organization’s latest report. Cayman’s public health boss, Dr Kiran Kumar, confirmed that cholera is not present here in Cayman and reminded the public who maybe travelling Cuba to take the necessary precautions. The medical expert pointed out, however, that the high level of sanitation locally will ensure that the disease could not get a hold even if it spread to our jurisdiction.
“There are no travel restrictions. If you have to go, take vital precautions such as ensuring hygienic food preparation, boiling or purifying all water, and washing hands often with soap and clean water. Travellers should also carry an ample supply of oral rehydration salts,” Dr Kumar said.
“Cholera is not present in the Cayman Islands and the chances of importation of cholera into Cayman are limited and even if it occurs, our excellent sanitation and safe water will prevent its spread. In addition, we have adequate facilities and drugs to manage any case should importation occur.
Travellers to Cuba are advised to contact their doctor immediately should they develop watery diarrhoea and vomiting within five days of leaving. It is also important to state their travel history to their doctor. This advisory is applicable to travellers to Haiti and Dominican Republic, the two other countries in the region affected by cholera.
To ensure ultimate readiness, the Public Health Department held multi-agency preparedness meetings and Minister of Health, Mark Scotland, applauded the pro-active efforts by various agencies in monitoring the cholera situation in Cuba and taking the necessary steps to prevent, detect and manage any imported cholera cases.
Cholera is an acute intestinal infection caused by ingesting contaminated food or water with cholera bacterium. It can take anywhere from five hours to five days for symptoms to appear after infection, but usually symptoms appear within 24-48 hours. Cholera infection is often mild or without symptoms but can sometimes be severe.
For more information please call the Public Health Department on 244-2621.
Tips for Prevention
- Travellers to Cuba can greatly reduce the risk of contracting the disease by following these practices:
- Drink only bottled, boiled or chemically-treated water and/or bottled or canned beverages.
- Ensure that seals are unbroken when using bottled drinks.
- Disinfect your own water: boil for one minute or filter the water and add two drops of household bleach or half an iodine tablet per litre of water.
- Use bottled, boiled or chemically-treated water to wash dishes and brush teeth.
- Use ice in your drink only if you know it was made from boiled or treated water.
- Wash your hands often with soap and clean water.
- Clean your hands before you eat or prepare foods, and after using the bathroom.
- Eat foods that have been thoroughly cooked and are still hot, or fruit that you have peeled yourself.
- Cook all vegetables. Do not eat salads or other raw vegetables.
- Do not buy food or beverages from street vendors.
- Work permit as Online Investor (Personal Investor)
- House for sale - Mt Pleasant WB
- \'09 Honda Fit 4sale
- New Blackberry Q10 Gold Plated and Gold Porsche Design (24 HRS BBM Chat:295941E1)
- Town - Extra Large Bedroom with XL Walk-in Closet
- ONE BEDROOM SHARING $325.00
- CINSA RElays
- Retirement plan
- Make Money Now - Easy as ever
- Stainless Steel Electric Stove & Electric Water Heater for SALE
The comments posted do not necessarily reflect the views of CNS or any individual staff member. All comments are posted subject to approval by CNS. Read more
- I think she just needs to
18 hours 59 min ago
- Ok, privateers and then
19 hours 4 min ago
- I have to say the comments
19 hours 7 min ago
- This must be a joke
19 hours 12 min ago
- How do you know she didn't?
19 hours 20 min ago
- We love porn. That is why.
19 hours 32 min ago
- You see that is how American
19 hours 33 min ago
- Thank you for the comments
19 hours 35 min ago
- Greed? One of the effects of
19 hours 36 min ago
- Except that too would be
19 hours 37 min ago